Fan Art Long Story Short: Fan Art

m4dsk1llz

Engaged Member
Feb 13, 2019
Has anyone here attempted to figure out what character is the base for Vanessa's mother. She first appears on day 6 during dinner at Vanessa's house. Again on day 7 in the living room. Another appearance is on day 10. Would love to do a bit of art with her and the MC.

ShadowLover

Nov 17, 2022
Compliments, she is close (just maybe the face and freckles), although she is missing something down there :p :). What did you use to make her ?
You will find her in the following bundle
which is a G3 bundle
The girl is:
&

and the clothing is

Which has

For extra textures if you want them also

BlenderGuy

Nov 17, 2023
Chris got an unexpected visit from two guys he'd known back from his days in college.
Both guys were drug dealers who'd sold to Chris till he'd graduated.
They'd just been released from prison and needed to unwind.
So Chris thought of the perfect coming home present for his two old buddies.
Besides, he knew Ann enjoyed being dominated.
Her cuck boyfriend would also get a buzz from the pics they sent him from her phone.
002Ann Kidnap.png 003Ann Kidnap.png 005Ann Kidnap.png

redle

Apr 12, 2017
I'm a noob, sorry, so much to learn I have!
Thanks for the advice though!
I still have the DUF to clean it up and do a fresh render with backdrop.
Truthfully it looks like a lot of those items already are using mesh smoothing. There are a lot of times mesh smoothing won't fix poke-through (and sometimes it makes it much worse).

Whether you try to address the issues and clean up what you can in the scene, sometimes you just need to do some clean-up in post-work.
failed_image_post.png

Pr0GamerJohnny

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 7, 2022
Truthfully it looks like a lot of those items already are using mesh smoothing. There are a lot of times mesh smoothing won't fix poke-through (and sometimes it makes it much worse).

Whether you try to address the issues and clean up what you can in the scene, sometimes you just need to do some clean-up in post-work.
View attachment 3823035
For sure, though depends on the kind of poke-through. With the type he had there with the arms gradually clipping through, he should try upping the smoothing to say 16 and collision ~ 10

Reactions: BlenderGuy

redle

Apr 12, 2017
For sure, though depends on the kind of poke-through. With the type he had there with the arms gradually clipping through, he should try upping the smoothing to say 16 and collision ~ 10
There was a lot of different poke-through going on. All 4 tops, the gloves, the tie, at least 2 of the stocking sets... There's also some mesh collision going on with the right-hand/pink-panty where mesh smoothing is pulling the panty out over the hand (this one I ignored, as the pink cloth/skin tones/shadows were close enough for a background character and simply not worth the hassle in post). Some of it might clean up by altering the smoothing numbers, but I've certainly seen it just get worse. But you are right that it is always worth a try as the first fix attempt.

A push modifier would be the next step for a lot of the items if smoothing isn't cleaning it up (although that likely won't play well on the stockings with strappy shoes).

Pr0GamerJohnny

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 7, 2022
There was a lot of different poke-through going on. All 4 tops, the gloves, the tie, at least 2 of the stocking sets... There's also some mesh collision going on with the right-hand/pink-panty where mesh smoothing is pulling the panty out over the hand (this one I ignored, as the pink cloth/skin tones/shadows were close enough for a background character and simply not worth the hassle in post). Some of it might clean up by altering the smoothing numbers, but I've certainly seen it just get worse. But you are right that it is always worth a try as the first fix attempt.

A push modifier would be the next step for a lot of the items if smoothing isn't cleaning it up (although that likely won't play well on the stockings with strappy shoes).
Yup, seconded. I like to do them in that order, because push modifers can easily distort the fundamental shape of stuff when you use it too strong.

3rd step would be either dforcing (or add dynamic surface modifer and run), or manually using mesh grabber, but that's a PITA.

BlenderGuy

Nov 17, 2023

View attachment 3823035
Nice work! I seem to be having issues where the Iray preview is showing the outfits as fitting perfectly with no poke thru or material destruction, yet I still end up with the pink latex gloves and brassier at the back disintegrating on the final render.
Which is surprising considering the Ann model is quite petite so shouldn't be causing any poke thru issues.

I understand it's best to work at base level with low subdivision in viewport when constructing a scene.
I'm wondering if I've accidentally messed with a Render setting.
Screenshot 2024-07-12 at 10.33.18.png Screenshot 2024-07-12 at 10.33.26.png

• Red Heart
Reactions: fred9320

redle

Apr 12, 2017
Nice work! I seem to be having issues where the Iray preview is showing the outfits as fitting perfectly with no poke thru or material destruction, yet I still end up with the pink latex gloves and brassier at the back disintegrating on the final render.
Which is surprising considering the Ann model is quite petite so shouldn't be causing any poke thru issues.

I understand it's best to work at base level with low subdivision in viewport when constructing a scene.
View attachment 3823868 View attachment 3823869
Petite does not particularly "help" at all. Auto-fit clothes scale to the character. So a small character has automatically smaller clothes. It is more a matter of how different the morph shapes are from the original genesis x figure. Also whether or not there are any mesh collisions (or near collisions) and how well the particular clothing item bends to match various poses.

As for working in low resolution, the benefit is that your machine can update the display and run calculations quicker while you are working. It potentially allows you to work faster without your machine pausing longer and more frequently. It does not help the final product any. Features like smoothing will calculate based on the resolution at the time. So if you are looking at the screen in lower resolution, what you will see is how the smoothing should look if you render at that exact same resolution. If you render at a different resolution, the smoothing will run a completely new calculation during the render and you will see the result of whatever this calculation is (regardless of the fact that you have never seen it in the active display).

Pr0GamerJohnny

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 7, 2022

View attachment 3823868 View attachment 3823869
Petite does not particularly "help" at all. Auto-fit clothes scale to the character. So a small character has automatically smaller clothes. It is more a matter of how different the morph shapes are from the original genesis x figure. Also whether or not there are any mesh collisions (or near collisions) and how well the particular clothing item bends to match various poses.

As for working in low resolution, the benefit is that your machine can update the display and run calculations quicker while you are working. It potentially allows you to work faster without your machine pausing longer and more frequently. It does not help the final product any. Features like smoothing will calculate based on the resolution at the time. So if you are looking at the screen in lower resolution, what you will see is how the smoothing should look if you render at that exact same resolution. If you render at a different resolution, the smoothing will run a completely new calculation during the render and you will see the result of whatever this calculation is (regardless of the fact that you have never seen it in the active display).
wait slow up, two different things here - subdivision affects the actual vertex calculations - splits polygons as i understand, whereas render resolution is just that, I think he was referring to subdivision. Not trying to correct you redle, just wanna make sure we're giving him the right information.

BlenderGuy

Nov 17, 2023
wait slow up, two different things here - subdivision affects the actual vertex calculations - splits polygons as i understand, whereas render resolution is just that, I think he was referring to subdivision. Not trying to correct you redle, just wanna make sure we're giving him the right information.

Is there any reason why the final Render would deviate from the preview Iray image, which shows the outfits all covering the body perfectly.
There's a possibility it's down to the complexity of the morphs of Ann.
There seems to be a lot of sliders and products used to create her.
Is it possible that the geometry is too complex when it comes to fitting the outfit geometry on top?
If that makes sense?

BlenderGuy

Nov 17, 2023
I'm wondering if you can "damage" a genesis model with too many products and sliders, so it's not about the clothes, more about the figure itself? Is that possible?

m4dsk1llz

Engaged Member
Feb 13, 2019
Is there any reason why the final Render would deviate from the preview Iray image, which shows the outfits all covering the body perfectly.
Is it possible that the geometry is too complex when it comes to fitting the outfit geometry on top?
If that makes sense?
I don't think the viewport even when set to iRay uses the render SubD level, just the normal SubD. Not all clothing items use smoothing which includes collision settings, and even those don't always work as you expect them to.

Last edited:

Pr0GamerJohnny

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 7, 2022
If that makes sense?
Yes, happens all the time for me. The Iray preview can miss subtle clipping differences which you do see in the final render, even with the same subd.

You can throw on denoiser and do a quick low-res render to test before the real deal.

I've found some outfits are just worse than others, the OOT mega jeans ALWAYS seem to have knee issues, etc...
I'm wondering if you can "damage" a genesis model with too many products and sliders, so it's not about the clothes, more about the figure itself? Is that possible?
Not damage, it'll just make everything run super slow :LOL:

You'll notice the more base figure morphs you have installed (stuff that goes in the data/DAZ 3D/Genfemale folder - the slower Daz is to load scenes, characters, and manipulate them. Conversely it's shocking how fast G3s can be posed and manipulated, feels smooth as butter.

redle

Apr 12, 2017
By low resolution, yes, I was speaking of what is ultimately vertex count of models. When a line going from Point A to Point B is subdivided, a Point C is created between the two. Point C is often not on the line running from A to B (the whole point of higher resolution is, after all, so that the mesh can be shifted in smaller increments).
subdivide.jpg
So the render is using a different mesh (ACB, than the one being worked on, AB). The mesh is "in a different location." Tools like the smoothing modifier do take this into account, but the point was, if one is working with AB and trying to make adjustments and make it look perfect, one really doesn't know exactly what ACB will look like.

Some visual tools (in general, not talking specifically about DAZ or one specific tool here) also "cheat" for the purposes of making a complex calculation simple. Like if one went to the store and bought something for $4.97, 5.24, 4.21, 4.99, 5.03, ... and the shopper says, I think this is going to cost me roughly 5*5 = $25 rather than adding up all the exact prices. With 3D visualizations there are millions of calculations constantly being performed, and sometimes cheats like the above approximation are used so the display isn't constantly lagging. I do not know when/where DAZ does or does not use cheats/estimates in what it shows to the end user. Real calculations are used for final-product output in something like this, but not necessarily for a live preview render.

BlenderGuy

Nov 17, 2023
Yes, happens all the time for me. The Iray preview can miss subtle clipping differences which you do see in the final render, even with the same subd.

You can throw on denoiser and do a quick low-res render to test before the real deal.

I've found some outfits are just worse than others, the OOT mega jeans ALWAYS seem to have knee issues, etc...

Not damage, it'll just make everything run super slow :LOL:

You'll notice the more base figure morphs you have installed (stuff that goes in the data/DAZ 3D/Genfemale folder - the slower Daz is to load scenes, characters, and manipulate them. Conversely it's shocking how fast G3s can be posed and manipulated, feels smooth as butter.

Thanks for all the info and advice, it's much appreciated.

I did wonder if some of the clothing (especially products not featured in the Daz shop) just sucked when it came to collision issues.I'm going to try and stick with costumes which the Daz shop has stocked and only bother with exceptional looking outfits from other vendors.

m4dsk1llz

Engaged Member
Feb 13, 2019
Thanks for all the info and advice, it's much appreciated.

I did wonder if some of the clothing (especially products not featured in the Daz shop) just sucked when it came to collision issues.I'm going to try and stick with costumes which the Daz shop has stocked and only bother with exceptional looking outfits from other vendors.
You can add Smoothing to quite a few outfits from other stores and they work perfectly fine, Just note that collisions and smoothing works better is the garment has SubD added also. There is a ton of stuff that is created at base resolution and could really use SubD.

I mention smoothing because DAZ does not separate smoothing from collisions, so you add a smoothing modifier and you get a collision modifier at the same time. You cannot load collision all by itself.